It is always a headache to select your new best travel suitcase! Through my numerous travels I have tried and changed so many suitcases! A suitcase becomes a important travel companion, and sometimes it is difficult to decide to get rid of an old one (unless it is completely damaged) and start looking for a new one.
This is my shortlist of the best travel suitcases I’ve or my friends have used and liked. I did not look at expensive designer cases, such as Louis Vuitton or those that are very cheap and unreliable. The suitcases that are reviewed here have a price range from 100 to 500 euros. I also have read many posts and reviews before coming up with this list to help you in making your choice.
Usually, I do not choose a black suitcase, as there are so many of them, and it can be very difficult to spot on the airport carousel!
I am focusing here on check-in suitcases: you can find out more about my favorite travel accessories here. Adults usually look at luggage in the range of 27 to 29 inches (67 to 74 cm). However, when selecting your new travel companion, there are several things to consider.
Which is best, a hard shell or a soft shell?
Hard shell suitcases
- Better to protect breakable items.
- Mostly waterproof.
- Easy to stack on top of each other.
- More complicated for thieves to get in.
- Sometimes heavier.
- Can’t expand – maybe not a choice for big shoppers.
- More difficult to stack.
Soft shell suitcases
- Usually lighter.
- Can expand and have outside pockets.
- Can survive shock better.
- Less protective for breakable items.
- Not waterproof.
- Easier for thieves to rip open with a blade.
Four-wheel or two-wheel suitcases
- Easier to maneuver in limited space.
- More ergonomic.
- Do not remain stationary, need to be supervised.
- Wheels are easier to break.
- Easier to handle in the city – on pavements, etc.
- Wheels are recessed into the case, harder to break.
- Always need to be pushed or pulle
Nobody likes to pay for a suitcase that weights extra kilos, so a weight of an empty suitcase has to be considered before buying. Experts advise that the ideal weight of an empty suitcase should be around 7,4 lbs. ( 3,4kg).
I prefer suitcases that have warranties or guarantees, and I have had good experiences with damaged suitcases that were replaced by producers.
After having got a wet suitcase with wet clothes back several times when a plane landed in a strong rain, I buy only waterproof suitcases.
A price for a suitcase
I have changed many suitcases and now firmly believe that your best travel suitcase will not be cheap. If you buy a cheep suitcase, you will need to replace it often.This will cost more money, you will risk to losing some of your belongings, and you will waist time to choose a new one.
Now that you’re acquainted with my selection criteria, let’s look at my proposed list.
The Seven Best Travel Suitcases
These travel suitcases are presented in no specific order, and they are the best I could recommend. Let me know what your best suitcases are?
- Lightweight and durable.
- 4 wheels, great maneuver.
- TSA approved.
- Two compartments and multiple pockets.
- A very secure zip.
- Made from strong 600D polyester.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Stable and easy to handle.
- Very safe and secure.
- 360-degree spinners make it very mobile.
- Weight 8,6 lbs (3,9 kg) – quite light for its size.
- Made from polyester, with stain and water-resistant coating.
- 100% polycarbonate.
- Extremely scratch- resistant because of micro-diamond texture.
- Lightweight spinner wheels.
- TSA approved lock.
- Large, good for a family trip.
- 1690D ballistic nylon outer, resists stains and humidity.
- A handle system with 4 heights.
- Lockable main compartment (zipper).
- Weights 9 lbs (4 kg )high quality lightweight materials.
- Has a removable zippered organizer.
- Extremely spacious.
- Easy to handle, a good maneuver.
- Beautiful designer pattern, made from durable PVC materials.
- Expandable for more space.
- Weights around 10,1 lbs (4,5 kg).
- 8 wheel-spinner, easy to maneuver.
A disclaimer: Travel World Notes uses some affiliated links. If you like my hand – picked cases and buy through the link, there will be no additional cost to you. I will rceive some commission.